16 students injured in YABATECH hostel fire

0

Sixteen students were injured yesterday  when fire swept through the Bakassi Female Hostel at the Yaba Collage of Technology (YABATECH). Twenty rooms and six kitchens were razed; three female student fell into coma.

Some eye witnesses said the inferno started around 5am from a wing on the top floor of the hostel when the generator was switched on following power outage while others said it was caused by a power surge from the ground floor of the two storey building where computer monitors and Computer Processing Unit (CPU) are stored. It escalated to the second floor of the building.

Another eyewitness said the electric pole connected to the hostel sparked many times before the fire started.

The sparks had been recurring, some students said, blaming it on what they called deterioration in the hostel connection.

The injured student, including an asthmatic patient, who fainted were rushed to the Military Hospital, Federal Medical Centre (FMC), Yaba and General Hospital on  Randle Avenue Surulere.

For more, read here

TNV’s Take:

A real probe should be done on all hostel buildings. We take safety for granted in this country and its scary. I hope the injured get well soon.

Love this!(0)Naaah!(0)

It's your turn, what do you think?

+ Follow