The Prez, His Bishop and the Gates of Hell

Recently, whilst arguing with a friend over military rule versus democracy, I was asked to highlight the benefits of democracy. Without pausing for breath, my first response was ‘ real freedom of speech and expression’. I am glad that it was one of the things on my list because yesterday, I was able to send him a bbm message gloating over this little, yet so important aspect of our evolution as a nation.

For those who might be wondering what I am yakking about, I shall elaborate. Yesterday, our darling Prez joined worshippers at Winners Chapel, Canaan Land, Otta for their Sunday Service. The fact that the President went for Sunday Service isn’t what made social media agog yesterday, it is the alleged remark made by the Host Pastor, Bishop David Oyedepo.

Bishop Oyedepo whilst reassuring the President of his support is said to have informed the President that “We will open the gates of hell on those who oppose you.When God enthrones you no one can dethrone you”. Walahi na there kasala burst oh! When the news of this statement filtered on to social media, the reactions were almost comical. Some people who already know their fate by virtue of supporting APC did not take it lightly and Oga Bishop was yapped gaan ni o.

As for me, I had an interesting time reading the various tweets in reaction to this. It made me realise that indeed democracy can be sweet – as in yummy. Can you imagine the fate of anybody who speaks against a Pastor that has just prayed for a Dictator? See why I said Freedom of Speech is a benefit of democracy?

In spite of having such an entertaining evening, I found myself wondering about three things.

• Why did the Pro-APC guys take the matter to heart like this: The most interesting reactions came from supporters of the CHANGE campaign. Some of their comments were downright hilarious. In fact, they dug up every wrong statement our darling Bishop had ever uttered and began to  bandy it around. Biko, you guys should chill mehn, after all, when your Rev Father Mbaka gave his explosive sermon, all of you were very pleased, saved copies and even sent it via bbm to innocent people like us. Shall we brand your reaction as hypocrisy or pepper body? Or perhaps it is the threat of the furnace in the hereafter that is worrying you pipo? Oya judge ya matter yasef *side eye*
  • Would this alleged comment really sway a decided voter?: Lets see how this goes. So, you have decided to vote for Buhari, you believe that your reasons are valid but on Sunday, your Bishop threatens to open the door of the oven and give you first class access into hellfire and then you suddenly change your mind or how exactly does that work? I thought all you Christians had that big manual called the Bible which defines what constitutes a sin and when you get a pass onto the hot side. Is exercising your right to vote now a sin just because Oga Bishop said so? Or did the Bible tell you to vote your Pastor’s choice? Me no know oh, but even that kind of comment makes me wonder the kain Christians dem dey raise for there.
  • Did any of us really read the Electoral Acts?: Apparently, there is this little thing that mumu INEC failed to have done. They should have ensured that enough people knew what the electoral acts said. They should have used all possible means like adverts and jingles to inform the populace but did they? Naaaah! Our INEC often goes into comma only to reawaken six months before an election and even when they are up, they begin to flounder about like buffoons who didn’t know that an election was scheduled to happen. But, what do I know about all of these things eh? I’m just an olodo blogger. Below is an excerpt of the electoral act:

Section 95 (3) of the Electoral Act, states that “places designated for religious worship, police station and public offices shall not be used for political campaigns, rallies and processions or to promote, propagate or attack political parties, candidates, their political ideologies or programmes.”

In light of the of the section quoted above, who has contravened the laws of the land? Is it you or our MoGs? What has the Bible got to say about obedience to the laws of the land? On account of this, who is closer to gaining access to you-know-where now? Please do not answer that last question, no be me go cause make una backslide from your heavenward journey, biko.

Please, exercise your rights and vote your conscience because at the end of the day you aren’t the one with four private jets and many businesses, neither are you the one with the President of this great nation on your speed dial. Your reality and his are different.

So on this Monday morning, even though I know many people here are often scared to comment on religious topics, permit me to ask the bold ones, what is your take on this matter? Did the Bishop take it a little too far? Is Prez getting desperate hopping from Oritz Bling-alot to Oyedepo? Or as I say, is everything fair in love, war and elections?

Over to you, after all the verdict is yours….

Love this!(25)Naaah!(4)

40 Comments

It's your turn, what do you think?

1. So the bishop and johna are the ones guarding the gates to hell, cos i don't know how they will open it if they are not the kasalis. Very irresponsible statement from that man. Is the next thing now to scare people from voting in accordance to their conscience? The same guy said slaughter people who look like terrorists han han. A man who should encourage peace. Very irresponsible man.

Love this!(11)Naaah!(1)
  2. Another fantastic read Madam Naija verdict! You've said everything I wanted to say. Thanks for including the electoral act subsection. These religious leaders shouldn't take any side and just encourage their people to vote

Love this!(7)Naaah!(0)
  3. Oyedepo has not said anything bad,sometimes we need to be guided.what some of us saying is that,Northerners are not born to rule.

Love this!(1)Naaah!(4)
  4. I have often wondered if this is how a man of God should conduct himself. Is it by force to follow ur political choices?

Love this!(4)Naaah!(0)
  5. Well, I just read somewhere again few minutes ago and it was said that the Bishop was misquoted. What they claimed he said is "we will open the gates of he'll to anyone that opposses peace in this Nation". If this is really what he said fine. But if na any1 opposing Jonah, then that was a very loose statement from the pulpit.

Love this!(2)Naaah!(1)
  6. Na real wa!...I hope bishop no talk am cos some church members say na "enemies of naija him say him go open gate of hell against"....nway! It is quite unfortunate that most of our religious leaders are after their personal gains from poliTHIEFcians....since PEJ don dey call bck door meetings wiv pastors....i know say "wahala dey"...but I believe say some people don make up their minds on who to vote for...and some gullible ones go follow pastors like mumu cos them dey fear gate of hell...

Love this!(1)Naaah!(0)
  7. Prior to conclusions. People should get their facts right. The only time Bishop has referenced The President was to pray for boldness and wisdom. I'm recent times, he has been praying again the troublers of Nigeria and every insurgency. I know for a fact, he can never and will never make such comments.
    I was in that service and he said "All those opposing and against the peace of Nigeria, God would open the gates of hell to them"

Rumour mongers, please get ur facts right!!!!!

Love this!(4)Naaah!(3)
    • @Carol Shows you why men of God should not get themselves interwoven with politics, the consequences are not good. Did he also not say his members should slaughter people who look like terrorist???? Men of God leading large congregations need to be careful about what comes from their mouth and restrain themselves from political associations, they should speak the mind of God and not their own opinions

Love this!(5)Naaah!(0)
  8. Hehehehe, your funniest post yet madam TNV. Open the gates of hell??? I can't stop laughing here. 1st was Father Mbaka, now Pastor Oyedepo, I wonder who is next, maybe someone from Olumba Olumba or an Imam. These Men of God should just stop and concentrate on evangelization jor.

Love this!(3)Naaah!(1)
  9. People should be very careful when carrying fake rumor so that they will not bring curses upon their lives, I was in the church live and direct, No such comment from the Bishop okay. please don't bring the wrought of God upon your lives
    media men.

Love this!(3)Naaah!(3)
    • @Betty let him dissociate himself from a leader without vision and stop this campaigning for GEJ that he is doing and ppl won't be misquoting him. Where was the Bishop when all the corruption was taking place under GEJ? And the insecurity in the country? Or what is he saying about the chibok girls? We have not heard his voice on matters affecting the common man, let him speak as a prophet of God that he is and speak against the wrongs in a government that has no vision.

Love this!(2)Naaah!(1)
      • @kululu make I carry my long mouth join dis mata. If Oyedepo read im bible well, den im dey do d right tin by honoring GEJ. Make i try quote bible small....abeg I no fit but make u try dis one I Pet 2: 13-15 (I just google am o...):

Be subject for the Lord's sake to every human institution, whether it be to the emperor as supreme, or to governors as sent by him to punish those who do evil and to praise those who do good. For this is the will of God, that by doing good you should put to silence the ignorance of foolish people. Live as people who are free, not using your freedom as a cover- up for evil, but living as servants of God. Honor everyone. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honor the emperor

conclusion of my whole tory...if I be Oyedepo and President talk say im dey come see me den I must to honor am. As for wetin bishop talk for d service, me I no know o but my APC fanatic we dey there talk say 'no kain'. i.e. no shaking for bishop. im just dey fire d boko boys. Chikena.

me sef don write epistle...lol

Love this!(1)Naaah!(0)
        • If I start to they quote we no go finish the quoting, I no talk say make Bishop no welcome the president oooo, even me if GEJ come my house I go receive am now but I go tell am the truth. Wetin I talk be say make e no campaign... and the members of his church will agree that in recent times he has been campaigning so tey some members talk say them go vote their conscience and not what any mortal tells them. Even the bible records the prophets of the old testament chastening the kings when they mis-rule abi I lie?... the current government is currently misruling and he as a prophet and man of God should not be campaigning for the Govt. my 2 cents.

Love this!(1)Naaah!(0)
      • is he the cause of the insurgency ? who is the proposed leader with a vision? when ubaka made his pronouncement u saw nothing wrong. y now?????

Love this!(1)Naaah!(0)
    • So please tell us what he said and how it was misconstrued to mean what we now read? Na him go slap small girl for church say na witch, an him dem say make e no enter jand onto some dodgy thing, na him dis and dat han han why is there so much controversy around him sef? now slaughter this, open gate to hell that. Na only am be pastor ni? Adefarasin no dey, Adeyemi no dey, Kumuyi no dey, Adeboye no dey, Okotie, Oyakilome, Bakare. Wetin sef? Even our oga bling oritse bling try make e no talk carelessly.

Love this!(1)Naaah!(1)
  10. Hear this!
    My Broda in faith, please, sincerely speaking, are Nigerians at ease at all?, whether North of South, East or West. if Boko Haram is operating in the North, are they also operating in the other part of the coountry? take a walk and see the expression on the face of everybody. I think the quality of a true leader is to feel what others are passing through. People are not finding it easy at all, no price control on food and other basic needs of life. They kept increasing evry tarrif ( Nepa, Vehicle Plate Number, kerosine e.t.c) even though there is no means of livelihood for more than 75% of Nigerians. Get to canaanland you will see people begging for arms. is it that they dont have faith? not all of them are faithless. it is the situation of the country. how many American got Faith before they can have access to the basic needs of life. Our leaders dont have Vision. Someone that does not know what to do for six years cannot do anything in four years. ( When a leader does not have vision, the people perish, that is exactly what is happening now in Nigeria). Let stop thinking about ourselves. I know my daddy in the Lord, the son of the Lion himself (Bishop David Olaniyi Oyedepo) cannot take a dime from any person. so, nobody should say nonsense about him. He has never involve himself in anything politics, that is why it is easy for Jonathan to sell lies to him like this. he will soon see Jonathan is more than a devil. Please touch not my anointed and do my prophet no harm. Yet, a change we want.

Love this!(2)Naaah!(0)
    • That is why people say silence is golden. must he say anything? person come your sunday service ehn run your service as usual now. must you chat politics? pray for all and encourage them to live in love finish. johna sell am lie sell am lie, why him buy am? na everything dem dey sell give you, you dey buy?

Love this!(0)Naaah!(0)
  11. @TNV u sef for buy d CD/tape of d message before launching out nah....lol!

Nice one....got d blogging public responding.

Love this!(0)Naaah!(0)
    • @Obiano. Two questions. 1.y has the church not refuted it? 2. Y is he the one that was said to have made these utterances. Hasn't Jonathan visited the likes of Redeemed and other churches?. Also he has the State Church not got a Pastor that can be underrstandably partisan?

Love this!(2)Naaah!(0)
      • @Femi. Good questions but are they meant for me or d richest pastor this side of the world (supposedly)? Or worse still our Prez?

At the end of the day we should ALWAYS (not sometimes) seek to be sure that ALL hearsay irrespective of their source is verified before we jump to press, lest we be called half baked, hasty, premature etc. in our approach. Honestly I would have had my source verified first.

U wan talk anoda mata abi make we overflog dis one? Biko lemme know.

Love this!(1)Naaah!(0)
  12. I'm always in his service, it is not that i'm going against bishop but whathe is always saying is all about guiding jonathan, assuring him that he will be elected again....it got to a point that bishop ask his church members to bring their voters card to church for prayer....why is he always praying for jonathan alone? Is that what a man of God should be doing? A man of God is not suppose to interfere into political matters....what he should do is to pray for our great nation....please anyone who tries to cover up what is not meant to be shall be punished by God....

Love this!(2)Naaah!(0)
    • what are u still going there to do because u cannot get anything from that church and whatever blessing u might ve gotten from the church might just turn to a curse because i know there is no truth in all that u said. you re just a miserable liar.

Love this!(0)Naaah!(0)
      • @rexdelightsx so na u go come get blessing as u come hear come dey curse everybody, u sef na disgrace to the church sef, using abusive words on others, by the way you can express yourself without being insulting abi na Wetin dem dey teach you for church be dat. Love not hate is the message from our Lord Jesus.

Love this!(0)Naaah!(0)
  13. So now it is now Winners. The other time he ran to Redeem. If it were to be Buhari that went to see a Muslim cleric in the North they will say he want to Islamize Nigeria. Anyway, whatever his comment, he is a capitalist, the richest pastor in Nigeria so i am not bordered. I just hope they will not use Religion to destroy this country. Oshibajo is a Redeemite so it is not convenient for him to visit Redeem this time so he chooses Winners.

Love this!(1)Naaah!(0)
  14. Open the gate of hell? Some people overestimate their title though. You be Jesus? Na you go judge people on judgment day?Man, go worry about your own salvation. You never reach heaven, u dey send people go hell.

Love this!(2)Naaah!(0)
  15. God wl help us all in dis country and i pray almighty throw light on all dis political crisis may God guide us. Protect us and deliver us from the evil that befell our dear natiin nigerua in the 21st century

Love this!(0)Naaah!(0)
  16. i cant believe Nigerians anymore. the election is yet to start and we are already divided.... for christ sake what is wrong in the bishop telling his congregation to bring their voters card to church. incase u did not know he gained two things by doing so one he made the members see the essence of getting their voters card so they can fulfill their obligation to their country and he also prayed for peace all through the coming election ...what in Gods name is wrong with that. the way some people reason you wonder if they have anything upstairs

Love this!(1)Naaah!(0)
  17. And FYI it is a practice n the church not to respond to useless media criticisms such as this.. for crying out loud the bishop does not even have time to listen to what you are saying and we are here wasting precious God given time criticising someone who is already on another assignment.....just listened to the tape now and it said "All those opposing and against the peace of Nigeria, God would open the gates of hell to them" what is wrong in that short prayer een??? Rumour mongers, please get ur facts right!!!!!
    if only Nigerians can channel their energy to more profitable things the world will be a better place

Love this!(0)Naaah!(0)
    • @kingsley one question for you? Has the bishop been campaigning for GEJ in recent weeks? If yes, is that legal as per the electoral act? And if not why is he doing something illegal? He is a man of God, is he not? Bottom line religious leaders should dissociate themselves from politics otherwise they lose focus on their primary aim of winning souls for God's kingdom. Anyway in recent times religious leaders are too concerned about money and worldly riches (private jets and co) not to lose focus on the reason they are men of God in the first place

Love this!(1)Naaah!(0)
  18. I understand that religion makes it easy to understand all the random things that happen to us, I get it, it does not however mean we should not be real! GEJ has not done enough to deserve a second opportunity and no matter what anyone says arch bishop or chief imam voting for a change is doing the right(real) thing...

Love this!(2)Naaah!(0)
  19. if truly bishop oyedepo was misquoted.....he should please speak for himself and make proper clearifications as regards this statement.Well that is why I always say it that men of God should stay off politics because it is like mould that can stain there personality...they should just act like a king in a town or father heading a family (even if a father loves one of the children most , he dire not show it because this can cause envy/enmity for the loved one)

Love this!(0)Naaah!(0)
  20. Well, its obvious APC as a party needs flogging for misleading Nigerians. I love APC but i am having doubt about dir honesty now because of how they dispensed this falsehood. Here is an account from an insider in the church http://www.ogbeniandru.com/2015/01/video-truth-about-president-jonathans.html As for the Bishop responding, forget it. He doesn't respond to rumors.

Love this!(0)Naaah!(0)
  21. I pray that the almighty God, the lion at the tribe of juda shoud redeem this country from this confussion and shame.
    Peace be our wach word.Let there be unity, love and progress in Nigeria.May God help this nation.

Love this!(0)Naaah!(0)
  22. @ Pastor O , Vincent and Ogbenni Andru thanks a lot we need more Nigerians like you guys around, to every Nigerian still in doubt of what he said follow the links shared above and see for yourself (information/knowledge is power) to everyone waiting for the Bishop to come public and clear anything happy waiting ......to Apc and their followers i like the idea of change but i completely hate the way they are going about it wen rev father Ejike Mbaka and even pastor Tunde Bakare came out clearly and said wat they said everybody was happy, nobody said anything, social media was not filled with crap and now this. please Nigerians lets not allow political sentements destroy our ability to reason

Love this!(0)Naaah!(0)
  23. @Kululu one answer for you the bishop has never in recent past or present times campaigned for anybody i attend all his services and i am yet to hear him say vote for change(Apc) or vote for Goodluck(Pdp) his only crime has been to encourage members of his church to get their Pvc so they can vote and their is nothing wrong about that. there had been other preachers who came out boldly to say vote Buhari/ Apc for change and no mention was made about the constitution Okay SIR!!!!!

Love this!(0)Naaah!(0)